(The County of Lanark)
On Lanarkshire in 1845
Lanarkshire, or Clydesdale, is bounded on the north and north-west by the counties of Stirling, Dumbarton & Renfrew; on the north-east, by Mid-Lothian and Linlithgowshire; on the east by Peebles-shire; on the south, by Dumfries-shire; and on the south-west and west, by Ayrshire.
It is situate between 55o, 14', 42", and 55o, 56', 10" of north latitude, and 3o, 22', 51", and 4o, 22', 51" of east longitude.
The length of this county, from Queensberry hill on the south, to near the eastern extremity of the burgh of Renfrew on the north-west, is 52 miles; and it's greatest breadth, from the confines of Peebles-shire on the east of Garvaldfoot, to the source of the Avon, on the border of Ayrshire, is 33 miles. It contains an area of 926 square miles; or 471,278 Scots statute acres, equal to 581,145 English acres.
Lanarkshire is subdivided into three districts, called the Upper, Middle, and Lower Wards; each of which is under the particular jurisdiction of a sheriff-substitute, appointed by the sheriff-depute of the county.
In the Upper Ward, of which Lanark is the chief town, are the parishes of Carluke, Lanark, Cartstairs, Carnwath, Dunsyre, Dolphinton, Walston, Biggar, Libberton, Lamington, Coulter, Crawford, and a small part of the parish of Moffat, Crawfordjohn, Douglas, Wiston and Roberton, Symington, Covington, Pettinain, Carmichael, and Lesmahago.
In the Middle Ward, of which the town of Hamilton is the centre, are comprehended the parishes of Hamilton, Blantyre, Kilbride, Avondale, Glassford, Stonehouse, Dalserf, Cambusnethan, Shotts, Dalziel, Bothwell, East or New Monkland and West or Old Monkland.
The Lower Ward, lying around the city of Glasgow, contains, besides the town parishes of that city, and its country or Barony Parish, the parishes of Calder, Cambuslang, Rutherglen, Carmunnock, Govan, and a part of Cathcart, the remainder of which is in the county of Renfrew.
Excerpt from the 1845, Statistical Accounts of Scotland.
"One of the south-western counties of Scotland, and the most important county of the country. It ranks only tenth among Scottish counties as to area, but is by far the most populous - containing, indeed, as many inhabitants as the three next in order all taken together, and very nearly a quarter of the whole population of Scotland - and the most valuable, as the valuation, exclusive of burghs, is greater than that of the next two in order taken both together.
It is bounded North by Stirlingshire and a detached portion of Dumbartonshire, North-East by Stirlingshire, Linlithgowshire, and Edinburghshire, East by Peebleshire, South-East and South by Dumfriesshire, South-West by Dumfriesshire and Ayrshire and West by Ayrshire, Renfrewshire and Dunbartonshire."
(Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland 1883)
Click on the thumbnails below to view some large images (approx 200k) which you can download.
Images are copyright to Jim Rouse, but can be downloaded & used for personal purposes.